January 19, 2012
Beware of 2.99% Fixed Mortgage Rates
The "skinny" on the newly advertised 2.99% five-year rate
|Beware of Low-Rate mortgage offerings as most have strings attached. Mortgages are a long-term investment and therefore, you need to make sure you're getting the right mortgage for your personal situation; not just the best rate.|
In a recent ad campaign offering 2.99% for a 5-year fixed term,
did you know that with this type of mortgage you CANNOT:
- You cannot refinance with, or switch your mortgage to, another lender before maturity.
- You cannot get an amortization over 25 years
- Mr. Techar says: "According to our research, nearly 75% of Canadians looking to purchase their first home are considering an amortization of 25 years or less."
- That said, extended amortizations are suitable in specific circumstances, and a 25-year cap is a deal-killer for a minority of borrowers.
- You cannot get the lender's normal prepayment privileges
- Prepayments are limited to 10% lump-sum and a 10% annual prepayment increase (BMO's normal prepayment options are 20%/20%)
- You cannot get a low-rate mortgage on a rental property
- You cannot blend and extend if you want to refinance before maturity - what happens if you need money urgently in a couple of years?
If you're interested in exploring the right mortgage product that suits YOUR personal situation, please feel free to contact our office and one of our professional mortgage advisors will be more than happy to provide you with some low cost options (that DO have all of the privileges you need in a mortgage).
To speak with one of our professional mortgage advisors, please call (604) 313-3199 or email email@example.com